The Committee of Interns and Residents, the largest resident physicians’ union in the country, is looking for a Lead New Organizer for the California region. This position has the responsibility of successfully leading all aspects of an organizing campaign.
CIR is a nationwide, progressive, member-driven healthcare union representing more than 17,000 resident physicians. Our vision is to be the national voice for interns, residents and fellows and to create better working conditions that allow physicians-in-training the ability to provide the highest quality patient care possible by building power through their union.
The Lead Organizer must utilize the resources of CIR’s departments to strengthen and guide successful organizing campaigns. This position is responsible for leading organizers and organizing committees in executing the campaign plan and also facilitating the learning and development of new organizers.
- Probe potential CIR chapters, identify and recruit leaders to an organizing committee.
- Build relationships with interns, residents, fellow and allies while maintaining oversight of new organizing campaigns.
- Worksite mapping, list building and turf planning.
- Understand the phases and components of an organizing campaign, creation of a strategic plan with specific achievable goals, tactics, and development of a detailed timeline.
- Successfully lead the execution of a campaign plan.
- Identify needs and utilize campaign tools to effectively and efficiently move campaigns.
- Maintain good relationships with other CIR departments and utilize their resources to strengthen and guide campaigns.
- Be well versed in labor law specifically related to regulations governing union recognition.
- Develop new organizers and effectively guide their day to day work.
- Comprehend resident work life, training, governance structures, terminology, and role within hospital operations
- Manage expectations, fears, and hopes of residents and fellows throughout campaigns.
- Understand the ways CIR operates in an organized hospital.
- Facilitate meetings effectively.
Requirements and Skills:
- Experience leading a team/s in a campaign setting.
- Experience in tracking and analyzing data for campaigns.
- Ability to use, learn and teach different organizing tools in campaigns.
- Proficiency in job-related technical knowledge and ability to facilitate the learning of others.
- Ability to develop committees.
- Ability to think critically through problems, manage conflict and adversarial situations.
- Recognizable interest in the work and the membership with a desire to advance the organization
- Proactively identifies the needs of the organization and responds with solutions.
- Ability to juggle multiple responsibilities and handle fast-paced settings, multiple projects and tight deadlines.
- Critically evaluate one’s own performance, incorporating feedback into improving performance.
- Ability to self-motivate and accomplish work independently.
- Motivated to develop one’s own skills, acquire knowledge and proactively seek opportunities to learn.
- Effective and appropriate communication with potential members, staff, administrators, and supervisors.
- Effective written and verbal communications.
- Actively participates on the team.
- Demonstrates respectful and responsible behavior.
- Well prepared, organized and able to manage time effectively.
- 4 year degree, BA/BS preferred
- 2years minimum experience in external organizing
- Familiarity with statistics, quantitative and qualitative research
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and, Google Suite
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to work long hours and travel extensively within and outside the region.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize multiple tasks and think critically.
- Ability to build and manage relationships with colleagues and members,
- Competitive starting salary ($81,601-$91,351) commensurate with experience.
- Excellent benefits package: health, dental, vision, disability, 401(k), pension plan and paid sick/vacation time.
A resume and cover letter are required for all applications. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for CIR, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan. Please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject Line: California Lead New Organizer
CIR is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants. As a proud Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), we do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, religion, sex, sexual stereotyping, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), or any other protected category recognized by state, federal or local laws. Please visit our website for more information: www.cirseiu.org.