The Committee of Interns and Residents (CIR) is the largest housestaff union in the United States. We are a local of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), representing over 17,000 resident physicians who are dedicated to improving residency training and education, advancing patient care, and expanding healthcare access for our communities. CIR’s mission is to empower our nation’s interns, residents and fellows to fight for excellence for our patients.
The Committee of Interns and Residents/SEIU Healthcare is looking for a reliable and detail-oriented Legal Secretary to support the union-sponsored legal services for members with an emphasis on H-1B petitions. This role will also support general legal work applicable to union business, labor law litigation and representation of interests of resident physicians.
- Answer incoming calls and route appropriately
- Prepare CIR Legal Services intakes into a database and prepare files
- Prepare department bills for payment
- Draft H-1B and H-4 papers
- Fully participate on H-1B team
- Preparation of legal documents
- Assist in training new paralegal and team members when necessary
- Input membership and dues information using HPS Novus system
- Work with HPS Novus membership database, including updates, changes, preparing queries and creating reports
- Assist in annual orientation preparation
- Take meeting minutes accurately and provide clerical support such as copying and scanning as needed
- Assist other parts of the organization or CIR affiliated benefit plans, when time allows
- Other duties may be assigned
- Two plus years of experience as a Legal Secretary preferred
- Ability to work independently, prioritize multiple tasks and think critically
- Ability to independently develop and acquire job knowledge
- Demonstrated excellence in writing and editing, and verbal communications
- Well prepared, organized and able to manage time effectively
- Willingness to work overtime, when needed
- Demonstrate respectful and responsible behavior
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, social media outlets, and internet applications
What you gain from a position with CIR:
- Competitive salary
- Excellent benefits package: health, dental, vision, disability, 401(k), pension plan and paid sick/vacation time.
In addition to your résumé, please include a cover letter that gives us a clear picture of who you are, and why you want to be the Legal Secretary at CIR. Please send your résumé and cover letter to Carol Dunham at: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the Subject Line: Legal Secretary Position.
CIR is committed to equal opportunity for all employees and applicants and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. As a proud Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), we do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, religion, sex, sexual stereotyping, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), or any other protected category recognized by state, federal or local laws. Please visit our website for more information: www.cirseiu.org.