Title: Part-Time Contract Organizer
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
The Committee of Interns and Residents (CIR) is the largest housestaff union in the United States. We are a local of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), representing over 17,000 resident physicians who are dedicated to improving residency training and education, advancing patient care, and expanding healthcare access for our communities. CIR’s mission is to empower our nation’s interns, residents and fellows to fight for excellence for our patients.
CIR is committed to fully engaging our physician-members on hospital worksite and CIR issues. To accomplish this, we need a highly driven and committed individual who has strong interpersonal communication skills, and can effectively solve problems. Organizers are responsible for building a strong CIR presence in the hospital worksite, developing member leaders, negotiating and enforcing the collective bargaining agreement and developing strategic relationships within the hospital and the community.
What you gain from a position with CIR:
- Hands-on experience enforcing a collective bargaining agreement for physicians, with the opportunity to develop and implement new ways of engaging physicians in their worksites.
- Opportunity to work directly with physicians-in-training, gaining an understanding of front line providers in the hospital setting.
- Opportunity to address issues related to access of affordable quality healthcare.
- Opportunity to develop skills in contract negotiations, health care economics and political advocacy.
- Competitive salary; commensurate with experience.
- Excellent benefits package: health, dental, vision, mileage reimbursement, disability, 401(k), pension plan and paid sick/vacation time.
CIR is looking for candidates who have:
- Part-time hire; 3-days per week
- Prior union or other organizing (political/community) experience, preferred
- Healthcare experience preferred, but not required
- Exceptional communication skills (verbal and writing)
- Strong ability to connect and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds in pursuit of a common goal
- Capability to think critically to manage conflict and adversarial situations
- Ability to work independently and possess a strong work ethic
- Must be able to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Must have a valid driver’s license; regional travel by car is required
- Flexible working outside normal business hours, ability to work in the evenings and weekends as needed.
In addition to a resume, please include a cover letter that explains your reason to work at CIR and how you demonstrated success in a similar position. Please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject Line: NM Worksite Organizer Position.
CIR is committed to equal opportunity for all employees and applicants and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. As a proud Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), we do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, religion, sex, sexual stereotyping, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), or any other protected category recognized by state, federal or local laws.