Location: Bay Area, Los Angeles or Sacramento
The Committee of Interns and Residents (CIR) is the largest housestaff union in the United States. We are a local of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), representing over 20,000 resident physicians who are dedicated to improving residency training and education, advancing patient care, and expanding healthcare access for our communities. CIR’s mission is to empower our nation’s interns, residents and fellows to fight for excellence for our patients.
The Committee of Interns and Residents is looking to fill a Political Coordinator position. CIR is committed to fully engaging our physician-members on hospital worksite and CIR issues. To accomplish this, we need a highly driven and committed individual who has strong interpersonal communication skills and can effectively solve problems. This role will implement the Political Education (COPE) program. You will work closely with the Political Director to ensure an understanding and active participation in the political process. You will engage with field staff and members to plan campaigns, lobbying, and attend events for our public endorsements at a city, state and federal level. The Political Coordinator reports to the Political Director.
- Drive the local level political and legislative agenda
- Provide support on issue campaigns, legislative meetings, and other political union activities; participate in community, political and other events to endorse and show support
- Collaborate with the Political Director, field staff, and organizing staff to integrate political strategy into planning for contract and organizing campaigns
- Partner with the Political Director and field staff to engage and mobilize members into political/community action
- Help build and maintain relationships with elected and other public officials to support the local’s legislative priorities (including members priorities)
- Empower our members to build effective advocacy relationships with elected officials, community partners, and other stakeholders
- Assist in mobilization of elected and other public officials in support of member actions, events, and issues
- Provide support to staff for the recruitment, training, leadership development, and coordination of member political activists for political fundraising, electoral campaigns
- Implement political activities such as voter registration drives, vote-by-mail, and GOTV activities
- Provide staff support to our COPE Board, present at leadership meetings, staff and/or member training and member meetings, train staff, and members to help them achieve political goals
- Represent CIR at Central Labor Councils (NY CLC, any others in the region, and any new CLC’s based on growth and per caps)
- Assigned to State Council committees based on the recommendation of the CIR State Council E-board member
CIR is looking for candidates who have:
- Bachelor’s degree in legislative, political organizing, or campaign related studies
- Must have labor union, state or local agency or association, non-profit community organization or progressive elected official experience
- Healthcare experience preferred, but not required
- Must have excellent follow-up skills
- Exceptional communication skills (verbal and writing)
- Ability to listen actively and frame issues for members, elected and other public officials
- Ability to evaluate and analyze information and deal with conflicting/changing priorities.
- Ability to think strategically and exercise a high level of judgment
- Energetic self-starter who thrives in fast-paced environments
- A team player who has a positive attitude and excels at collaboration and working cross-functionally
- Strong ability to connect and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds (from union members to union staff and leaders to elected officials to other communities and issue stakeholders)
- Flexible working outside normal business hours, ability to work in the evenings and weekends as needed
- Must have a valid driver’s license and car; regional travel by car is required
- Ability to travel throughout the country frequently and for long periods of time is required
- Working knowledge of membership databases
- Proficiency with Microsoft applications (Word, Excel); Google products such as Gmail and Google Drive (docs & sheets)
Minimum of 2-6 years of experience
- This is a full-time, salaried, overtime-exempt position
- Competitive salary ($65,505-83,148) commensurate with experience and in compliance with the staff collective bargaining agreement
- Excellent benefits package including health, dental and vision coverage with no employee contributions; generous paid leave time including vacation within the first calendar year of employment, paid holidays, personal days, sick days; short and long-term disability insurance; 401(k); defined benefit pension plan; and mileage reimbursement.
In addition to a resume, we require a compelling cover letter that gives us a clear picture of who you are, how you demonstrated success in a similar position and why you want to apply for this position at CIR. Make us want to pick up the phone and set up an interview! Please send your resume and cover letter along with 3 professional references to: email@example.com with the Subject Line: Political Coordinator
This job posting may not reflect the complete job description.
CIR is committed to equal opportunity for all employees and applicants and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. As a proud Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), we do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, religion, sex, sexual stereotyping, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), or any other protected category recognized by state, federal or local laws. Please visit our website for more information: www.cirseiu.org.