Title: Regional Director – Northern California
Location: Northern California
The Committee of Interns and Residents (CIR) is the largest house staff union in the United States. We are a local of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), representing over 17,000 resident physicians who are dedicated to improving residency training and education, advancing patient care, and expanding healthcare access for our communities. CIR’s mission is to empower our nation’s interns, residents and fellows to fight for excellence for our patients.
The Committee of Interns and Residents is looking to fill the Northern CA Regional Director position. You will drive and implement CIR’s national agenda at the regional level, developing a regional political/policy program, values-based programming, and assistance with the union’s organizing program. You will be responsible for overseeing membership engagement in the region’s hospital worksites, development of member leaders, negotiation and enforcement of the collective bargaining agreement and development of strategic relationships within the hospital and the community. You will supervise worksite organizers and other staff.
- Develop, plan and lead campaigns to address workplace issues affecting our members, patients, or healthcare
- Responsible for member leader development, membership engagement, and organizing members around contract enforcement at the worksite
- Lead collective bargaining in private and public sector chapters through the development of the bargaining team, researching of proposals and training staff on the process
- Provide written communications and reports quarterly to members, union leaders, executive board and CIR staff as needed
- Track and maintain accurate records and database for existing and incoming members
- Supervise, develop and ensure organizing staff are achieving local, statewide and national goals
- Lead and coach organizers in membership sign up in challenging open shop environment
What you gain from a position with CIR:
- Competitive salary; commensurate with experience
- Excellent benefits package: health, dental, vision, mileage reimbursement, disability, 401(k), pension plan and paid sick/vacation time
CIR is looking for candidates who have:
- Prior union or other organizing (political/community) experience
- Healthcare experience preferred, but not required
- 4 years or more of organizing experience in the labor movement with 2 years’ of experience managing and supervising staff
- Experience in collective bargaining, contract enforcement, and grievance procedure
- Excellent communication skills to connect with highly-educated professionals in pursuit of a common goal
- Capability to think critically to manage conflict and adversarial situations
- Ability to develop, lead and support organizers on the implementation of strategic campaigns
- Ability to work independently, meet deadlines and juggle a large workload in a fast-paced campaign environment
- Expected to balance time in the field and day to day administrative work
- Must have a valid driver’s license and car; regional travel by car is required
- Flexible working outside normal business hours, ability to work in the evenings and weekends as needed
A résumé and cover letter are required for all applications. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for CIR, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan. Please send your résumé and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the Subject Line: No Cal Regional Director.
CIR is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, marital status, religion or disability.