Welcome, St. Mary’s, to CIR!
St. Mary’s Medical Center in San Francisco voted overwhelmingly on March 8 and 9 in favor of their first tentative agreement, making this the third Dignity Hospital (out of six in California) to join the Committee of Interns and Residents.
Residents at St. Mary’s voted to join the housestaff union to have a greater voice at the table in order to make improvements at the hospital. They were also driven by sky-high rents and exorbitant cost of living in San Francisco.
Residents have found a voice for themselves with this contract and will now enjoy a 2% increase upon ratification, as well as a 2.5% increase starting July 2017. Residents also won a housing allowance of $3,500 annually, with a $1,750 payment in April and October each year of the contract.
In their contract, residents can look forward to:
- A Patient Care Fund of $12,000 annually
- An Educational Fund of $800 a year, with an additional $300 for the 2016 year
- Board exam reimbursement
- 3 weeks of vacation + 1 week for educational leave
- Mileage and toll reimbursement
- Additional call rooms and a resident lounge
- Labor-management meetings to address issues that come up during the residency year
“This contract is an investment in the future,” said bargaining committee member Dr. Dana Gersten. “I wanted a contract that would allow people to support themselves and their families, feel valued, and be invested and involved in the hospital.”
CIR leaders who attended the negotiation sessions are the backbone behind this significant contract win! Congratulations to the residents of St. Mary’s and welcome to CIR!